Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dieting


Last weekend, I sorta-kinda decided to become a vegetarian. It lasted only one day. What can I say, I got hungry!!! I didn't try to be a vegan or anything, there was no spiritual awakening or call to a greater purpose. I just wanted to lose weight.

This coming from anyone else is not strange, but from me it's incredible. I've never been on a diet. I've never had reason to. All my life I could eat as much as I want and I'd never gain a pound. Now that I know you're officially hating me, I'll give you a reason not to feel sorry for me.

Now I'm gaining weight.

Since moving to NYC, I've become the worst kind of finicky foodie that won't dare eat a franchises. Loves exotic international dishes, and spends countless hours of my life blogging about restaruants to anyone with time enough to read. My weight has ballooned and I'm getting bigger everyday.

About a year ago I went out with some friends from college. One had gained weight and the other had lost a significant amount of weight. She wasn't the fat girl I'd known at school. When my friend asked her how she did it, she said she became a vegetarian. I wondered, how many other women had become vegetarians in order to lose weight?

It seems everywhere I go I'm in the company of vegetarians. This city is full of them. Even when I was hunting for an apartment, many of the advertisements seeking roommates requested that you be a vegetarian. If you weren't a vegetarian, it was requested that you not even cook meat in the house!

I'd always thought of vegetarians as these deeply holistic people who didn't believe in eating baby lambs. And although there are still people who are vegetarian and vegan for that reason, it can't be ignored that there are also people who are just taking on this lifestyle in order to get or stay thin.

I tried to maintain the discipline, but after eating my first veggie burger, I went righ to Burger King.

0 comments: