Saturday, September 5, 2009

Work


I love the librarian profession. I enjoy helping patrons with research, in the process I always learn something new myself. I have a daily set of routine rituals that I go through that make the library fluid and more accessible. I love the time to think, and the opportunity to learn that presents itself everyday. This is why I joined this profession in the first place.

The thing that makes my job SUCK is my coworkers. They are nasty, backbiting, and petty. It is very frustrating to work your hardest only to be rewarded with the most unflattering unapreciation. For instance, I would arrive to work about a half hour early. This is not easy inasmuch as my commute is two hours long and I take two trains and a bus to get there. Every one else in my office drives to work and thier commute is less than twenty minutes. I am often there in the snow, when the other librarians refuse to come out. They refuse to give me a key to the door, and I often sit in the elements waiting for someone to come in and open the door.

I am also the youngest librarian on my job by about 40 years. Of course I know more about computers than all of the other librarians. This causes a lot of grief tension. The librarians would rather call an IT person to come and help them with a PowerPoint slide, than to ask me to help. Even when I offer my assistance, it has been decided that I'm useless with computers. I could be such an asset to my co-workers, yet they'd rather shun me, and complain about everything I do.

So, if anyone knows of a great library job that is looking for a fast, productive, knowledable librarian - I'm your girl!

0 comments: