Saturday, July 25, 2009

Post Racial


I don't think I need to do yet another recap of the Gates/Police debacle. Instead I will offer my opinion on this whole notion of America being post-racial. This morning and last night I had some very interesting conversations regarding the matter.

First of all, I'd like to say that there is absolutely no reason that Professor Gates should have been arrested in the first place. I was unaware that a non-violent overreation warranted an arrest. If it were so, Rush Limbaugh and nearly every person in America would be hauled off to hail.

Second of all, we're not even sure IF Professor Gates "overreacted".

I'm bothered that reporters keep wanting to "trip" Obama up with this incident. I don't think Bush, or Clinton would have been asked about this matter. I don't think this would have gained as much attention as it has. The only reason that this is such an issue, is because most Americans truly believe that because we have the first Black president, this somehow means that we are post racial. Marginal reporting is done on the growing number of hate groups ignited by this historic presidency.

No one talks about all of the snide water-cooler comments that Blacks endure when well-meaning liberal whites want to "ask a Black Person" about Obama's politics.

Racism is embedded in American society. Don't fault me, I didn't make it so. Nevertheless, it is what it is. In what circumstance is it okay to arrest the VICTIM of a crime. Do we arrest people who have been raped, robbed, buglarized...for being upset at the scene of the crime!!??? Apparently we do. And there are a lot of people who think that because Professor Gates is Black, he had absolutely no right to be upset. He should "stay in his place" and be as accomodating to the officer as possible. (For goodness sakes, a Black man can and should be arrested and or shot for being upset!)

This incident is another wake-up call to America that will probably, unfortunately, be ignored.

See Obama's "Apology Speech" here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22ZzIvWe6A

0 comments: